The Gmail vacation responder can be a real lifesaver when you have to go on a remote vacation destination and still need to keep up with ever demanding clients.
Imagine a doctor needs to go for an overdue trip but still need to let patients know that he won’t be available as their appointment bookings come in. Gmail vacation responder lets you do just that. You can choose what to tell them when they contact you through your Gmail.
It is normal to direct them to an assistant or let them know when you will be back in town.
Turn on Gmail Vacation Responder
To start using the Gmail vacation responder here is how to turn it on and off
Set up Vacation Responder
- Launch your browser preferably google chrome
- Log into your Gmail account
- Locate and click on the gear icon for settings
- Scroll to the Gmail “Vacation responder” section.
- Select the Vacation responder on.
- There you can fill in the date range, subject of the responder and the message.
- Check the box if you want your contacts to see the message
- Finally, scroll and click Save Changes.
Turn off your vacation reply
When your vacation responder set date has run out, a banner will be posted across. There you can simply click to end the message from being sent on your behalf.
If you do not choose to end your vacation responder earlier, the autoresponder begins 12:00 AM and ends 11:59 pm of the start and end day respectively.
Tips For Gmail Vacation Responder Mail
- Provide a time frame for which you will be away. This lets your clients and mailers to know when to mail and expect a response.instead of mailing repeatedly every two days and keep getting the same message.
- There is absolutely no need to provide a starting date of your vacation, instead, let them know when it is ending as that’s all they really want to know. Giving clients the duration of your vacation brings more questions to mind.
- Provide an alternative/ emergency contact: If your kind of clients is those that need urgent attention, then it is expected that you have that in place in the mail. This is done by a lot of people. The world should move on with or without you in the picture.
- Give less away: Since it is probably for an official client setup, do not give a lot away. Clients do not need details, they need you available. Telling them that you are chilling in Hawai while they have to place their activities on hold might be a turnoff.
Those are my few tips on composing a Gmail vacation responder.