An email signature is a unique identifier for emails from a particular address. Typically, Gmail signature like any other is a few lines of texts at the bottom of the outgoing emails when it is set. Companies mostly use this to make customers know other means of contacting them b including information such as website, and other contact information.
Best Email Signature Practices
Now that we know what email signature is, below are some of the best practice
- Keep it simple and short.
- Include basic information that can be made public.
- Create it separately from the body of the mail. Typically signature has a separating line.
An email signature is a form of advertisement if it’s own depending on what you choose to include. In Gmail, the setup process is easy and straight forward. In this post, I will show you how.
Steps To Setup Gmail Signature
You can set up a Gmail signature on your outgoing email with the following steps.
- Log in you Gmail account
- Locate and click on the setting icon (gear icon) located in the toolbar at the top right corner.
- Then go to general
- Ensure that you select the desired account where you want to insert the Gmail signature.
- Now enter the Gmail signature in the text field provided.
Tip: ensure to keep the signature with five lines of text. You can make it more attractive by including the desired formating.
- Then click to save Changes.
The signature is automatically inserted when you compose a message. You can edit or remove it before clicking Send.
How To Position Your Gmail Signature
To position your Gmail signature, you can use the following steps. Typically the signature exists below every message. Thus when you reply the last thing your mail reader should see is the signature.
To set this up,
- Start by clicking on settings (the gear icon)
- Click on settings again from the appearing menu.
- Then go to the General category.
- Ensure that you tick the checkbox to Insert signature before quoted text in replies and remove the “–” line.
- Finally, click Save Changes.
Disable Signature in Gmail.
Although it can be deleted at any time before sending an email, however, you can disable it permanently. Thus stopping it from ever appearing again when replying a message.
- Locate and click on the gear icon at the top right corner.
- From the appearing menu, click on settings Select Settings.
- Proceed to click on general.
- Scroll down to the Signature section. Under signature ensure that No signature is selected. Note that all your previous Gmail signature will be saved just in case you wish to use them again.
- Then click to Save Changes.
Turning off the automatic Gmail signature means that you can manually add different email signatures to different emails.
And if you want to resume with your preferred signature, simply go to settings and save it again.
Signature Best Practices